Saturday, August 20, 2005

Military Impressionism

"Wow, Amitai, how is the army???"

Never thought you'd ask.

Right now [due to lack of internet access, I am publishing this far later than intended, "now," is therefore relative to the monthlong lag], I am enjoying my first real Shabbat Leave, and I must say that describing the army, even after only 2 weeks in, is a challenge, as it is a wholly different experience. Fortunately, it is not radically different from many experiences I and you have had before, and I think I will be able to convey something meaningful. This post will be about my impressions of the army, and the atmosphere there.

First of all, the army is INTENSE. There is never any time to do anything, as you are always running from place to place, except when you're standing in one place, and then, you're not supposed to move at all. If you move at all, they will then make you run from place to place, to teach you how to not move at all. There is always someone scrutinizing you, so you must look over your shoulder constantly. Your performance is evaluated and judged, if not exactly in an official way, then at least in the minds of your commanders, and if not in the minds of your commanders, then they're doing a very good job of making us think that they are.

Secondly, the army is ON TIME. I am slowly getting it beaten into me that it is more important to be on time than to be prepared. This seems to be a great life-lesson as well, and if I absorb this army nurturing well, it should serve me as an alternative to my Triple-Checking nature. If you are not ready, say, with your cleaning your room or gun, you can ask for a time extension [ahhh, Daytona USA...], but you'd darn well better ask! Otherwise, you're Late, and being on time is holy here.

Thirdly, the army is CRAMPED. Space is tight, and you must simultaneously juggle all your possessions without losing anything, and also having everything ready and at hand (so that you will be on time); and so you must get by on very little. How so? Clothes and washing are tight, and so you get by on very few changes of clothing. I spent extra cash on changes of underwear and socks for every day, but that's just me, the mefunak.

There are so many implications that follow from these atmospheric conditions, but posts must be short if they are to be read, so I will fill you in on the structure of the army, funny stories, and quirks of life in coming posts. Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home