Monday, October 24, 2005

Humor in Uniform

WE PREPARE for our weekly marches, the famous IDF Masa'ot, as for anything. Who knows what might attack us? Like big rocks. {Actual enemies might present logistical problems, since we are ordered not to open fire under any circumstances; never fear, the command staff (hey, you translate segel!) will deal with any incidents that may arise. Considering that they've taken 3 months to realize that I'm an American hayal boded, and still have not replaced my army ID card [very important!] in 7 weeks, that operating procedure somehow fails to reassure me.}

In any case, we anticipate Line of Duty No 's, such as getting shot at or isolated, with radios, stretchers, and the all-purpose jerrycanim (<--a Hebrew word translated, roughly, Jerry Cans). And by all-purpose, I mean they carry water. Specifically water, I should mention, an important specification as can be seen from the following incident:

Before a particular masa, I noted to a fellow-in-arms that we should check the water in the jerry cans. However, due to the similarity between the the Hebrew infinitive conjunctions l'hishtanot and l'hashtin, instead of saying "Hey, we haven't changed the water in the jerry cans lately -- isn't it about time?", I instead said "Hey, we haven't urinated [in] the water in the jerry cans lately -- isn't it about time?" For some reason, I had no takers.

1 Comments:

Blogger nightgrapefruit said...

Ah, mistranslation stories, gotta love 'em.

The fist time my father met my grandparents (his in-laws to be at the time), my grandfather offered him an aperatif before dinner. "Do you like kir?" he asked my father, offering him a glass of current liquer.

My father was mortified. Kir, in Farsi, means penis.

Leila

P.S. Nice blog, I'm glad to hear your perspective on this experience.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home